POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Attempt to POV4 Syntax basics : Re: Attempt to POV4 Syntax basics Server Time
31 Jul 2024 14:24:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Attempt to POV4 Syntax basics
From: Fa3ien
Date: 7 Oct 2007 05:38:10
Message: <4708a902$1@news.povray.org>

> Some aspects I would like the new syntax to provide are:
>
>   Not from scratch, reuse and inherit notational features from current
> syntax
>   Allow non-programmers to make reasonably good scenes
>   Provide the language with some main features we know as being very useful
> or necessary but diffucult to code (complicated algotithm, advanced maths
> ....).
>   Let the gurus code these

The key, IMO, is : how many gurus will there be.

Currently, the maximum a user can do is a complex macro.  There is a
good proportion of users who can do that, but these are "small gurus",
since the system doesn't allow them to go very far.

Currently, if someone wants to do more, he have to either write an
external utility (which might be cumbersome to use, hardly portable...)
or do a POV-Ray patch, which requires even more competence.  These
are "big gurus", but represents a smallish fraction of users.

If the new SDL allows enough power while keeping a smooth learning
curve, there can be many "medium-to-big gurus", and everyone would
benefit from these developments.

Fabien.