POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : A new SDL Idea : Re: A new SDL Idea Server Time
31 Jul 2024 20:19:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A new SDL Idea
From: Warp
Date: 6 Oct 2007 18:12:41
Message: <47080858@news.povray.org>
Nicolas George <nicolas$george@salle-s.org> wrote:
> Is, with any system, a basic non-programmer user, capable of writing a
> shader that does more that what is possible with textures and pigments?

  Well, I think that's a bit like asking "is a basic non-programmer user
capable of writing a #while loop which creates 100 objects in a row?"

  Often some appropriate mathematics knowledge would be necessary to
perform certain things (such as knowing which direction to shoot a
ray towards), but POV-Ray could provide auxiliary functions to help
with this (in the same way as currently if you need to know the distance
between two points you don't actually need to know the mathematical
formula to do that because POV-Ray offers you the vlength() function
which you can use for this exact purpose).

  Sure, if you have no experience nor knowledge about the relevant
mathematics related to computer graphics, it will be quite more difficult
to write shaders. However, some basic things shouldn't be too hard to
create. And what a better way of learning some math while asking how
to do something specific.

--
                                                          - Warp