POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Attempt to POV4 Syntax basics : Re: Attempt to POV4 Syntax basics Server Time
31 Jul 2024 10:18:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Attempt to POV4 Syntax basics
From: Alain
Date: 6 Oct 2007 11:22:30
Message: <4707a836$1@news.povray.org>
Wolf nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2007/10/06 04:57:
> I personally would appreciate a brand new SDL syntax, especially if it
> similar to Java.
> The attempt Bruno made using Classes to create objects sounds very
> interesting to me, especially as it would be easy to create specialized
> Classes by sub-classing as you can do with Java.
> Example: The class "Glass" defines the standard glass parameters like ior,
> reflectiveness, color, transparency and so on. The sub-class "Crystal" may
> overwrite the parameters necessary to create a crystal-like texture.
>
> IMHO the most people using POV-ray by writing the SDL by hand (as opposite
> to using a graphical modeler) have at least some programming experience,
> either Java or .NET.
>
> - Wolf

It would'nt be a viable option, as it would prevent you from using ANY existing
scene, break all actual librarys and piss off a majority of users.

You make strange assumptions regarding typical POV-Ray users.

I don't use a modeler, but I've tried. I don't have any Java nor .NET
experience, I've not even read any documentation about either. It easier for me
to do things directly in SDL rather than use a modeler.
I do have some old programing experience using Basic (about 12 years old),
Pascal (about 20 years old), C/C++ (about 10 years old) and Fortran (over 25
years old).

--
Alain
Three can keep a secret, if two of them are dead.