POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray beta updates : Re: POV-Ray beta updates Server Time
31 Jul 2024 06:14:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray beta updates
From: Alain
Date: 5 Oct 2007 16:02:53
Message: <4706986d@news.povray.org>
Dre nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2007/10/04 21:09:
> "Chris Cason" <del### [at] deletethistoopovrayorg> wrote in
> message news:47057eb5$1@news.povray.org...
>> Nicolas Alvarez wrote:

>>> If you use a beta version, you will have to deal with that issue. Next
>>> beta will be online when devs have time to do it.
>> Which (for windows) ought to be this weekend.
>>
>> Starting with that beta I will be changing things such that after the
>> expiry date, a warning is displayed which has to be clicked-through rather
>> than not running at all. Though there probably still will be an absolute
>> timeout, it will be in the order of six to twelve months or so.
>>
>> -- Chris
>
> I still believe you will get more testers if you totally remove the timeout
> (dont even get me started on the idea of a nag warning to click through!
> Bad bad bad!!!!!).  Having to keep mucking around with date/time settings to
> get it to run or reverting back to 3.6 is a pita so I for one dont bother
> with any betas.  If however there was no nag, or timeout, I would be more
> than happy to beta test.
>
> Cheers Dre

Do you know WHY there is an expiration on beta? It's there so that developers
are not pestered about old bugs that have already been corrected in the newer
version(s).
I've seen cases, with other products, where bug reports were filed for some
early beta releases MONTHS after the final version was released. Some times,
around a year, maybe more, after the affected beta release was replaced by the
next, whitch effectively corrected that very same bug.
There was several cases when those to late bug reports actualy caused serious
setback in the development process, as the beta version was NOT provided by the
"bug" reporter.

--
Alain
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.