POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Attempt to POV4 Syntax basics : Re: Attempt to POV4 Syntax basics Server Time
31 Jul 2024 04:15:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Attempt to POV4 Syntax basics
From: andrel
Date: 5 Oct 2007 14:46:41
Message: <47068792.9080101@hotmail.com>
Shay wrote:

> Why a name for scene? Is the scene block necessary at all?

One answer would be that if you can refer to a scene it becomes possible
to pass that scene to a camera or output device. Thus allowing other
output possibilities for the same scene apart from our beloved
ray-tracer bitmapped output. That has a relation to my question on
whether POV4 should be a scene description language or purely a
ray-tracer. I am getting more and more convinced that is should be a
scene description language.

> This scene
> block is where it really gets "programmy" and where identical scenes in
> the NEW SDL will take more lines of code than those in 3.6 SDL.
yes. But not much and in most cases it is so standard that you don't
have to change anything in a scene template. (but it could kill our
short code competition)