POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : New SDL: support for lexical scanner generators : Re: New SDL: support for lexical scanner generators Server Time
31 Jul 2024 06:19:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: New SDL: support for lexical scanner generators
From: Zeger Knaepen
Date: 5 Oct 2007 03:43:31
Message: <4705eb23@news.povray.org>
> FWIW, I've worked on scenes that took 10-15 seconds just to "parse" (due
> to loops that procedurally generated lots and lots of objects).

that's nothing, I, and I believe I'm not the only one, have worked on scenes
that took a couple of minutes to parse.
Very irritating sometimes, because a mosaic-preview of the scene often only
takes a couple of seconds.  So I'll have to wait ten times the tracing-time
just to notice the camera is facing the wrong direction :)

My point: unless you change the meaning of "parsing" (which doesn't speed up
anything, and therefor would be, imho, considered useless), parsing is NOT
neceseraalery (I hate that word, never get it even close to right, probably
cause I'm not even trying anymore) 'very quick', on the contrary.

cu!
--
#macro G(b,e)b+(e-b)*C/50#end#macro _(b,e,k,l)#local C=0;#while(C<50)
sphere{G(b,e)+3*z.1pigment{rgb G(k,l)}finish{ambient 1}}#local C=C+1;