POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Pssst : Re: Thanks! Server Time
11 Oct 2024 17:45:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Thanks!
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 5 Oct 2007 01:10:14
Message: <4705c736$1@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 16:32:57 +0100, Bill Pragnell wrote:

>>> Aha, the Crisis Inducer, another corker that never made it out of the
>>> radio series.
>>
>> Yeah, that was an inspired idea.  "Come on, they're after us!"
>
> "Who?"
> "Nobody. Come on!"
> "But.."
> "Come on!!"

Well, close enough. :-)

Don't forget the bottle of little pink evening classes. :-)

> Very interesting. I read the Salmon of Doubt not too long ago, and
> despite the unfinished nature of the work it was a very good read. It
> also has a large collection of interviews, articles and personal
> recollections from friends and colleagues that make for a very moving
> picture of a very likeable man.

Yes, I thought it was an interesting read.  And he was very likeable; I
might've mentioned my autographed towel at some point - he was doing a
book signing near the University of Minnesota while I was taking some
summer orchestra classes there; I skipped a rehearsal (much to the
chagrin of the conductor, who also happened to be my private teacher as
well) to go stand in line; I got to the front of the line and presented
the towel to Adams; he laughed, said nobody had ever asked him to sign a
towel before, and he proceeded to sign it.  Took both of us leaning on
the corners to keep it from moving while he did.

And of course, being the hoopy frood I am, I know right where it is. :-)

>>> Oh, I can't remember. You've well and truly pummelled me with your
>>> expertise in this matter... :)
>> LOL!
>> She was forcibly married to the President of the Galactic Rotary Club.
>
> Should have had another stab.

"Hey, that hurt!"

>>> Well, given how accurate my answer was you'd have been perfectly safe.
>> True, true.  But still there's all the dodging and weaving to be done -
>> that's more effort than I'd want to put into it. :-)
>
> Just keep still. You'd have been like a greenfly on a dartboard 400
> yards away.

But you're rubbish at close range, is that what you're saying? ;-)

>> said for hearing Marvin again.  And Simon Jones brings the same sort of
>> energy to the role of Arthur (as far as I'm concerned, there's only one
>> person who is Arthur, and that's Simon).
> Absolutely. I also think Ford and Zaphod's radio personae are by far the
> best too. I know they got MW-D in for the TV series, which was good, but
> too many people think of Ford as whoever it was who stepped into GMcG's
> shoes.

David Dixon.  The thing is, I didn't really like his Ford that much.
Geoffrey's voice was just perfect for it, but apparently he was too big
around to be mistaken for an impoverished hitchhiker.

Don't even talk to me about Mos Def as Ford.  That had to be the worst
possible choice for the role; the movie, as far as I'm concerned, doesn't
exist except for two things:  1, Stephen Frye as the book, and 2, for the
book animations.  Those were well done.

>> BBC4 have just started running Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency
>> (first episode was yesterday, and it's available online).
> Ooh, careful, I got all excited for a second. BBC4 is the TV channel,
> remember, I gather you're referring to Radio4! :)

Yes, Radio4, sorry, I do know the difference. :-)

>>> "But I'm quite used to being humiliated. I can even go and stick my
>>> head in a bucket of water if you want. Shall I go and stick my head in
>>> a bucket of water? I've got one ready. Just a minute." "What's he
>>> saying?" "Nothing, he just phoned up to wash his head at us."
>>
>> "The car park?  What are you doing in the car park?" "Parking cars,
>> what else does one do in a car park?"
>
> "Everybody alright? Lintilla?"
> "Yes,"/"Yes,"/"Yes."
> "Marvin?"
> "Never better."
> "Good."
> "Still pretty bad though."
> "Right."

"Right, where are we going?"
"How should I know?  It's your Universe.  You go where you like."

And

"Right, Everyone understand?"
"Yes."
"Marvin?"
"Understand?  You ask me if *I* understand?"
"Yes or no?"
"Guess."

:-)

Jim