POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : New SDL: support for lexical scanner generators : Re: New SDL: support for lexical scanner generators Server Time
31 Jul 2024 06:22:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: New SDL: support for lexical scanner generators
From: Darren New
Date: 4 Oct 2007 20:56:17
Message: <47058bb1$1@news.povray.org>
Tom York wrote:
> I find parsing can easily be comparable to the render time for the scenes I
> render (use of meshes and medium-complexity macros).

What the current POV calls "parsing" isn't what things like ANTLR do.
"Parsing" (in the non-POV sense) means building a data structure
isomorphic to the input source code. "Parsing" in the POV sense includes
things like executing the while loops, while in the ANTLR sense it does
not. So with a parser generator, you'd have three phases: parsing
(fast), evaluating (putting together all the objects in the scene), then
rendering (calculating pixel colors).

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     Remember the good old days, when we