POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : The future of POV.... : Re: The future of POV.... Server Time
31 Jul 2024 06:19:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The future of POV....
From: Samuel Benge
Date: 4 Oct 2007 19:26:54
Message: <470576be@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
> Samuel Benge <stb### [at] thishotmailcom> wrote:
>> While we're talking about it, please, please, please, add support for
>> subdivision of meshes!
>
>   No, subdivision of meshes should not be added. That would only worsen
> the core code overhead.
>
>   What should be added is a new scripting language which makes it easy
> to create mesh subdivision libraries (among many, many other thigns). This
> has tons of advantages. For one, it keeps the core code simpler, reducing
> overhead, maintenance requirements and clutter. Another is that hard-coding
> such a feature in the core code would make it rigid and unmodifiable, while
> making it in scripting makes it more flexible and easier for anyone to
> modify for their needs.

Well, a new scripting language sounds better to me! Such a language
would allow a person to create their own shaders, right? Say I wanted to
make an ambient occlusion shader, would I be able to do it with such
scripting capabilities?

>   From the end user point of view there isn't much of a difference. However,
> from the developers' point of view, as well as from the point of view of
> those who have the knowledge and skill to write such libraries, it would
> be way, way better.

I'll read up on the recent posts, to see what ideas people have
presented. Do you think a new scripting language will become a part of
POV someday?

>   It also makes much easier for this kind of thing to happen:
>
>   "Hey, the subdivision library is great, but I can't do this specific
> thing with it. Could someone help?"
>   "Here, use this modified version."
>   "Hey, thanks! It works perfectly!"
>
>   If it was implemented in the core code, then tough luck.

Your arguments make a lot of sense. I hope such a scripting language is
implemented into a future version of POV!

~Sam