POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : The future of POV.... : Re: The future of POV.... Server Time
31 Jul 2024 06:19:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The future of POV....
From: Bryan Valencia
Date: 4 Oct 2007 19:14:27
Message: <470573d3$1@news.povray.org>
Samuel Benge wrote:
> While we're talking about it, please, please, please, add support for
> subdivision of meshes!
>
> Some of us are just no good at the complex routines required to smooth
> meshes ourselves. It would be *much* easier if we could just put some
> triangles together and apply subdivision to it.
>
> Xiaobin Wu and Jianhua Fan's POV-Sub patch is almost perfect. You can
> apply smoothness without subdivision if you want, it works with
> uv_mapping, it parses quickly, and would just make my life easier all
> the way around if it was part of the official version of POV. Or at
> least part of Mega-Pov (subdivision+aoi pigment would be great together).
>
> There are a couple of bugs with the program, however. I can post the bug
> reports over in p.u.patches, if anyone is interested.
>
> So how about it?
>
> Sam

in my opinion, that antithetic to the whole POV mindset.  When I create
a triangle mesh in POV, I want it to be exactly what I describe.   Since
POV doesn't natively allow editing of meshes except as text, I don't
want the rendering engine changing my 300 triangle mesh into a 6000
triangle mesh.

Rendering and editing are 2 different processes, IMHO.

--
---
Bryan Valencia

- I'd rather live with false hope than with false despair.