POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : The future of POV.... : Re: The future of POV.... Server Time
31 Jul 2024 06:18:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The future of POV....
From: Warp
Date: 4 Oct 2007 18:16:59
Message: <4705665b@news.povray.org>
Samuel Benge <stb### [at] thishotmailcom> wrote:
> While we're talking about it, please, please, please, add support for
> subdivision of meshes!

  No, subdivision of meshes should not be added. That would only worsen
the core code overhead.

  What should be added is a new scripting language which makes it easy
to create mesh subdivision libraries (among many, many other thigns). This
has tons of advantages. For one, it keeps the core code simpler, reducing
overhead, maintenance requirements and clutter. Another is that hard-coding
such a feature in the core code would make it rigid and unmodifiable, while
making it in scripting makes it more flexible and easier for anyone to
modify for their needs.

  From the end user point of view there isn't much of a difference. However,
from the developers' point of view, as well as from the point of view of
those who have the knowledge and skill to write such libraries, it would
be way, way better.

  It also makes much easier for this kind of thing to happen:

  "Hey, the subdivision library is great, but I can't do this specific
thing with it. Could someone help?"
  "Here, use this modified version."
  "Hey, thanks! It works perfectly!"

  If it was implemented in the core code, then tough luck.

--
                                                          - Warp