POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : The future of POV.... : The future of POV.... Server Time
31 Jul 2024 06:25:37 EDT (-0400)
  The future of POV....
From: Samuel Benge
Date: 4 Oct 2007 17:20:49
Message: <47055931$1@news.povray.org>
While we're talking about it, please, please, please, add support for
subdivision of meshes!

Some of us are just no good at the complex routines required to smooth
meshes ourselves. It would be *much* easier if we could just put some
triangles together and apply subdivision to it.

Xiaobin Wu and Jianhua Fan's POV-Sub patch is almost perfect. You can
apply smoothness without subdivision if you want, it works with
uv_mapping, it parses quickly, and would just make my life easier all
the way around if it was part of the official version of POV. Or at
least part of Mega-Pov (subdivision+aoi pigment would be great together).

There are a couple of bugs with the program, however. I can post the bug
reports over in p.u.patches, if anyone is interested.

So how about it?

Sam