POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : A new SDL Idea : Re: A new SDL Idea Server Time
31 Jul 2024 18:27:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A new SDL Idea
From: Alain
Date: 4 Oct 2007 14:56:27
Message: <4705375b$1@news.povray.org>
Fa3ien nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2007/10/04 11:29:
> Alain a écrit :
>
>> You must make sure that the new, revamped SDL remain compatible with
>> the actual SDL, and remain capable to render existing scenes.
>
> That will be a big issue.
>
> Personally, I think that, while it might be possible to keep a good
> amount of compatibility, 100% backwards compatibility shouldn't block
> POV-Ray's evolution.  Some things will have to be broken, for the best.
>
> I think (but might be wrong) that writing some kind of converter, to take
> care of what's been broken, should be preferred instead of making an
> half-baked
> SDL for the sake of compatibility.
>
> Compromises...
>
> Fabien.
In a new SDL, you won't be able to maintain 100% backward compatibility.
One possible thing that may be done is to create some external scene converter
to recompose some droped features to the new features set, but that can be
almost impossible in several cases. Ever tried to convert the droped "halo"
feature to something else?

--
Alain
'Every man has his price.  Mine is $3.95.'