POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Pssst : Re: Thanks! Server Time
11 Oct 2024 17:45:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Thanks!
From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 4 Oct 2007 11:30:35
Message: <4705071b@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:
>>> "I don't think you CAN dig your way off a planet..."
>> Aha, the Crisis Inducer, another corker that never made it out of the
>> radio series.
>
> Yeah, that was an inspired idea.  "Come on, they're after us!"

"Who?"
"Nobody. Come on!"
"But.."
"Come on!!"

> He was very good at coming up with names for things; I always wanted to
> ask him where some of the names came from.  Unfortunately, the two times
> I had an opportunity to talk with him, I didn't have a lot of time (once
> in person, once on the radio).  But I ran into an old friend of mine
> recently who runs a radio show called Shockwave Radio Theater, and many
> years ago he had the opportunity to interview Adams.  We bumped into each
> other online recently, and he said "you know, I still owe you something"
> and send me a DVD with all the bits of Shockwave on it, and included in
> there was an interview with Adams that was quite good; I think it was
> from right after MH was released.

Very interesting. I read the Salmon of Doubt not too long ago, and
despite the unfinished nature of the work it was a very good read. It
also has a large collection of interviews, articles and personal
recollections from friends and colleagues that make for a very moving
picture of a very likeable man.

>>> LOL!
>>> Who was Trillian said to be married to after this scene occurred?
>> Oh, I can't remember. You've well and truly pummelled me with your
>> expertise in this matter... :)
> LOL!
> She was forcibly married to the President of the Galactic Rotary Club.

Should have had another stab.

>>> I'm glad I wasn't in front of the knife.
>> Well, given how accurate my answer was you'd have been perfectly safe.
> True, true.  But still there's all the dodging and weaving to be done -
> that's more effort than I'd want to put into it. :-)

Just keep still. You'd have been like a greenfly on a dartboard 400
yards away.

> said for hearing Marvin again.  And Simon Jones brings the same sort of
> energy to the role of Arthur (as far as I'm concerned, there's only one
> person who is Arthur, and that's Simon).
Absolutely. I also think Ford and Zaphod's radio personae are by far the
best too. I know they got MW-D in for the TV series, which was good, but
too many people think of Ford as whoever it was who stepped into GMcG's
shoes.

> BBC4 have just started running Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency
> (first episode was yesterday, and it's available online).
Ooh, careful, I got all excited for a second. BBC4 is the TV channel,
remember, I gather you're referring to Radio4! :)

>> "But I'm quite used to being humiliated. I can even go and stick my head
>> in a bucket of water if you want. Shall I go and stick my head in a
>> bucket of water? I've got one ready. Just a minute." "What's he saying?"
>> "Nothing, he just phoned up to wash his head at us."
>
> "The car park?  What are you doing in the car park?"
> "Parking cars, what else does one do in a car park?"

"Everybody alright? Lintilla?"
"Yes,"/"Yes,"/"Yes."
"Marvin?"
"Never better."