POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Pssst : Re: Thanks! Server Time
11 Oct 2024 17:48:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Thanks!
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 4 Oct 2007 11:14:24
Message: <47050350@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 14:53:27 +0100, Bill Pragnell wrote:

>>> "Don't worry, the others aren't here right now."
>>
>> "I don't think you CAN dig your way off a planet..."
>
> Aha, the Crisis Inducer, another corker that never made it out of the
> radio series.

Yeah, that was an inspired idea.  "Come on, they're after us!"

> "How I Scaled The North Face Of The Megapurna With A Sprained Finger"
> swept away by titles like
> "How I Scaled The North Face Of The Megapurna With A Perfectly Healthy
> Finger But Everything Else Sprained, Broken Or Bitten Off By A Pack Of
> Mad Yaks"
>
> ...or however it goes. I like the way Adams just sticks the word 'mega'
> in front of a normal word to make it seem other-worldly. Especially
> things from Arcturus; megadonkey, megarhino (with or without bronchial
> pneumonia), megavoidwhale...

He was very good at coming up with names for things; I always wanted to
ask him where some of the names came from.  Unfortunately, the two times
I had an opportunity to talk with him, I didn't have a lot of time (once
in person, once on the radio).  But I ran into an old friend of mine
recently who runs a radio show called Shockwave Radio Theater, and many
years ago he had the opportunity to interview Adams.  We bumped into each
other online recently, and he said "you know, I still owe you something"
and send me a DVD with all the bits of Shockwave on it, and included in
there was an interview with Adams that was quite good; I think it was
from right after MH was released.

>>> Arse. Damn you, brain.
>> LOL!
>> Who was Trillian said to be married to after this scene occurred?
>
> Oh, I can't remember. You've well and truly pummelled me with your
> expertise in this matter... :)

LOL!

She was forcibly married to the President of the Galactic Rotary Club.

>>> Well, it was a wild stab in the dark. :)
>>
>> I'm glad I wasn't in front of the knife.
>
> Well, given how accurate my answer was you'd have been perfectly safe.

True, true.  But still there's all the dodging and weaving to be done -
that's more effort than I'd want to put into it. :-)

>> But the episodes aren't 30 minutes; they actually have a running time
>> of between 29 and 30 minutes (originally), but the new series'
>> recordings I have are extended editions, and a few of them run as long
>> as 40 minutes with the added material.
> Are the new series any good? I listened to a few episodes when they
> aired on the radio but they seemed to follow the books word for word and
> it wasn't the same without Peter Jones (even if the rest of the cast
> were present).

I like the new ones - just listened to the first and second episodes of
the Tertiary phase.  Dirk Maggs wanted to not create any new material,
but he did source material from discussions he had with Adams back in the
90's about doing another series.  The first episode was largely written
by DNA back then, but then the movie was on (again) and he went to work
on that.

I think William Franklyn did a good job as the book - he was a good
friend of Peter Jones as well, and while it certainly isn't the same
without Peter, or Richard Vernon, or David Tate, there's something to be
said for hearing Marvin again.  And Simon Jones brings the same sort of
energy to the role of Arthur (as far as I'm concerned, there's only one
person who is Arthur, and that's Simon).  The loss of Peter Jones becomes
less significant in the Quintessential phase, since by that time the
guide has been taken over and the voice of the bird takes over for the
book - played by none other than Rula Lenska, better known as
Lintilla. :-)

BBC4 have just started running Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency
(first episode was yesterday, and it's available online).  Not sure what
I think of it yet; I had a listen, but wasn't paying attention that
much.  I have to recode it to MP3 and put it on my iPod and listen again.

> "But I'm quite used to being humiliated. I can even go and stick my head
> in a bucket of water if you want. Shall I go and stick my head in a
> bucket of water? I've got one ready. Just a minute." "What's he saying?"
> "Nothing, he just phoned up to wash his head at us."

"The car park?  What are you doing in the car park?"

"Parking cars, what else does one do in a car park?"

Jim