POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Pssst : Re: Thanks! Server Time
11 Oct 2024 17:44:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Thanks!
From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 4 Oct 2007 09:51:05
Message: <4704efc9@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:
>>> 578 thousand million times. :-)
>> "Don't worry, the others aren't here right now."
>
> "I don't think you CAN dig your way off a planet..."

Aha, the Crisis Inducer, another corker that never made it out of the
radio series.

"How I Scaled The North Face Of The Megapurna With A Sprained Finger"
swept away by titles like
"How I Scaled The North Face Of The Megapurna With A Perfectly Healthy
Finger But Everything Else Sprained, Broken Or Bitten Off By A Pack Of
Mad Yaks"

...or however it goes. I like the way Adams just sticks the word 'mega'
in front of a normal word to make it seem other-worldly. Especially
things from Arcturus; megadonkey, megarhino (with or without bronchial
pneumonia), megavoidwhale...

>>> They got into the right-hand one.  Ford tells Zaphod "You and the
>>> others take the left-hand one". :-)
>> Arse. Damn you, brain.
> LOL!
> Who was Trillian said to be married to after this scene occurred?

Oh, I can't remember. You've well and truly pummelled me with your
expertise in this matter... :)

>> Well, it was a wild stab in the dark. :)
>
> I'm glad I wasn't in front of the knife.

Well, given how accurate my answer was you'd have been perfectly safe.

> But the episodes aren't 30 minutes; they actually have a running time of
> between 29 and 30 minutes (originally), but the new series' recordings I
> have are extended editions, and a few of them run as long as 40 minutes
> with the added material.
Are the new series any good? I listened to a few episodes when they
aired on the radio but they seemed to follow the books word for word and
it wasn't the same without Peter Jones (even if the rest of the cast
were present).

> "I know."
> "Shut up, Marvin, this is *organism* talk."
> "It's printed in the earthman's brain wave patterns, but I suppose you'll
> be very interested in knowing that."
> "You mean you can see into my mind?"
> "Yes"
> "And?"
> "It amazes me how you manage to live in anything that small."
> "Ah.  Abuse!"
> "Ah, ignore him, he's only making it up."
> "Making it up?  Why should I want to make anything up?  Life's bad enough
> as it is without wanting to invent any more of it."

"But I'm quite used to being humiliated. I can even go and stick my head
in a bucket of water if you want. Shall I go and stick my head in a
bucket of water? I've got one ready. Just a minute."
"What's he saying?"
"Nothing, he just phoned up to wash his head at us."

:)