POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : A new SDL Idea : Re: A new SDL Idea Server Time
31 Jul 2024 14:23:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A new SDL Idea
From: Jeff Houck
Date: 4 Oct 2007 07:45:09
Message: <4704d245@news.povray.org>
Bryan Valencia wrote:
> I've been following the "new language SDL" thread for a while, but I
> don't know if this topic has been covered.
>
> Having been a fan of Borland, and now a user of Visual Studio, I would
> like to present the notion of using a language-independent framework,
> like the .net framework and then document it so well that us users can
> write our own front-end languages, a la Visual Basic, C#, J#, ASP.NET, etc.
>
> So there would be the ".POV Framework" and then C#.POV, J#.POV, Visual
> POV...
>
> Also, if I want to create a post-processor library, or an animation
> utility, or a complicated subroutine that can create a random moon for
> example, then the compiled libraries could work with all the
> implementations.
>
> Maybe (and this is a big maybe) we could boil down the SDL to a set of
> libraries that can be plugged in to Visual Studio, or used with Java or
> Perl, etc.
>

> I know this is a lot of work, but it would get the POV team out of the
> language biz and let them focus on thing like rendering engines and
> speed optimizations.
>
> Sorry if this has been brought up previously, but I missed it if it was.

Personally, I like the SDL just the way it is... Simple, mostly
predictable and easy to use... It has a few areas that could be
improved, as noted in previous posts, but overall its served the
community pretty well over the years...

I see no advantage to building "libraries" or porting it to other
(propriatary) languages and complicating it.

"The more complicated the plumbing, the easier it is to stop it up." to
quote Mr. Scott of Star Trek fame.