POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : A new SDL Idea : Re: A new SDL Idea Server Time
31 Jul 2024 14:33:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A new SDL Idea
From: Fa3ien
Date: 4 Oct 2007 05:53:38
Message: <4704b822$1@news.povray.org>

> Fa3ien <fab### [at] yourshoesskynetbe> wrote:
>> The libraries would be written in C++, like the rest. No need for
>> proprietary or non-free stuff.
>
>> This would allow POV-Ray to be controlled by something else than
>> "official" SDL (in a more open architecture), though the normal user
>> would only see SDL.
>
>   How would the average user then use those libraries from the SDL?

He would not.  I mean : it would be transparent for the end user.
The "official SDL" parser will take that in charge.

where the user types...
  sphere {<0,0,0>,2 pigment {Red}}

...the parser makes the appropriate library calls to put a red sphere in
the scene.

If I understood well the model you are advocating, it's :
layer 0 : core rendering engine
layer 1 : unique SDL, powerful enough to allow users to add complex functionality,
           directly interfaced with layer 0
layer 2 : whatever people creates that makes use of the SDL

(please forgive, and correct if needed, any over-simplification, bad terminology...)

The "library" model would look like this :
layer 0 : core rendering engine
layer 1 : framework of libraries, providing interface to the core engine
layer 2 : official SDL, powerful enough to allow users to add complex functionality,
           parsing manipulates libraries
layer 2 (alternative) : another SDL, or direct control by a modeller, ...
layer 3 : whatever people creates that makes use of the SDL

about the "library" model :
pros :
  - more "open" architecture
  - allows (for competent people) adding complex functionalities with (probably) more
    power (speed) than an end-user SDL would allow, without touching the core engine,
though
  - transparent to the end user

cons :
  - adds another layer
  - risk of multiplying library sets and versions (but there's a similar risk for core
engine)

I think that what you (globally) envision for the SDL is the way to go (making it much
powerful that it currently is).  However there will be a compromise to find between
the
powerfulness (how far it can go) and user-friendliness (readability,
compatibility...),
and I think that having something between the core engine and the SDL would help ajust
the threshold without too much regrets.

Fabien.