POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : A new SDL Idea : Re: A new SDL Idea Server Time
31 Jul 2024 12:14:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A new SDL Idea
From: Fa3ien
Date: 4 Oct 2007 02:23:43
Message: <470486ef$1@news.povray.org>

> Zeger Knaepen <zeg### [at] povplacecom> wrote:
>>> POVRay has always been free and I hope it will remain so. If it suddenly
>>> requires an expensive developement suite like VisualStudio that blows the
>>> whole "free" thing out of the water.
>
>> uhm, VisualStudio Express is free, isn't it ?
>
>   Portability anyone?
>
>   Not everyone uses Windows, you know.

What prevents POV-Ray to become :
[Render Core + Framework libraries + Official (new) SDL making use of
the framework]

The libraries would be written in C++, like the rest. No need for
proprietary or non-free stuff.

This would allow POV-Ray to be controlled by something else than
"official" SDL (in a more open architecture), though the normal user
would only see SDL.

Unrealistic ?

Fabien.