POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : c++ memory question : Re: c++ memory question Server Time
11 Oct 2024 17:47:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: c++ memory question
From: Darren New
Date: 3 Oct 2007 14:47:13
Message: <4703e3b1$1@news.povray.org>
Samuel Benge wrote:
> No, I mean the program uses more memory when I run it, and the memory
> consumption is slightly higher after I quit than it was before I opened
> the program.

I think the basic problem here is what you mean by "memory consumption".
Memory doesn't get consumed, and all of it is always there. It's just a
question of who happens to be using it at the moment. Once your program
exits, your program isn't using the memory any more. There might be
something in a cache, or the kernel may have a bug in it that's not
marking the memory as available after your program stops using it.

But the question of "how do you know the memory is 'consumed'?" would
likely provide clues towards answering the question of who is using it.

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     Remember the good old days, when we