POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Pssst : Re: Thanks! Server Time
11 Oct 2024 17:48:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Thanks!
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 3 Oct 2007 12:27:35
Message: <4703c2f7@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 03 Oct 2007 10:58:35 +0100, Bill Pragnell wrote:

>>> Millions, as I recall, and, typically for Adams, a terribly specific
>>> number.
>>
>> 578 thousand million times. :-)
>
> "Don't worry, the others aren't here right now."

"I don't think you CAN dig your way off a planet..."

>>> Crikey, this merely rings a bell.
>>
>> It's a bit of a trick question - the cloning machine was making 6
>> copies of Lintilla for a Brantasvogon escort agency while another was
>> making 500 lonely business executives to keep the laws of supply and
>> demand working profitably.  The ratio, therefore, is 6:500. :-)  The
>> "trick" is that most would think of the much larger number (578
>> thousand million)
>
> Oh yes, I only recently noticed this joke, the first time I listened to
> the series I was a little young to get that one.

One of the reasons I like the series so much - there's a lot of nuanced
jokes, not to mention social commentary.  For example:

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid he
won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away
from it."

>>> Ah, a fifty-fifty. Very generous! Um, left? My imagination says right
>>> and for some reason my imagination always gets left and right wrong.
>>
>> They got into the right-hand one.  Ford tells Zaphod "You and the
>> others take the left-hand one". :-)
>
> Arse. Damn you, brain.

LOL!

Who was Trillian said to be married to after this scene occurred?

>>> I thought it was a radiophonic effect. Sounds like an organ, so I'll
>>> say Bach.
>>
>> Nope, far, far too dissonant for Bach.  Its Lontano, from A Modern Mass
>> for the Dead by Ligeti.
>
> Well, it was a wild stab in the dark. :)

I'm glad I wasn't in front of the knife.  Not that it was an easy
question, I had to look up the spelling of the name. :-)  I have to
admit, though, that in the tertiary-quintessential phases, this is
something I missed a lot - I liked that DNA used recognisable pieces of
music for the backdrop; the music behind the "ad" for Milliways, for
example, is The Engulfed Cathedral by Claude Debussy, but performed by
Isao Tomita.  I have the album here somewhere, in fact (entitled
"Snowflakes are Dancing", another Debussy work).

>> I always like when that happens, and it happens more often than it
>> seems it should by chance.
> Well, with a 45 minute commute and 30 minute episodes it's bound to
> happen half the time, surely? :)

But the episodes aren't 30 minutes; they actually have a running time of
between 29 and 30 minutes (originally), but the new series' recordings I
have are extended editions, and a few of them run as long as 40 minutes
with the added material.

> "Fact: I ache, therefore I am. Or in my case, I am, therefore I ache.
> Oh, look. I appear to be lying at the bottom of a very deep, dark hole.
> That seems a familiar concept. What does it remind me of? Ah, yes. Life.
> Perhaps if I lie here and ignore it it'll go away again. Or perhaps not.
> To be perfectly frank with myself, if it didn't go away as a result of
> my falling thirteen miles through the air and a further mile through
> solid rock, I'm probably stuck with it for good. Why don't I climb out?
> Why don't I just lie here? Why don't I just go zootle wurdle? Does it
> matter? Even if it does matter, does it matter that it matters? Zootle
> wurdle, zootle wurdle..."
>
> And so on.

"I know."

"Shut up, Marvin, this is *organism* talk."

"It's printed in the earthman's brain wave patterns, but I suppose you'll
be very interested in knowing that."

"You mean you can see into my mind?"

"Yes"

"And?"

"It amazes me how you manage to live in anything that small."

"Ah.  Abuse!"

"Ah, ignore him, he's only making it up."

"Making it up?  Why should I want to make anything up?  Life's bad enough
as it is without wanting to invent any more of it."

Jim