POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Pssst : Re: Thanks! Server Time
11 Oct 2024 19:18:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Thanks!
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 1 Oct 2007 16:41:08
Message: <47015b64$1@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 01 Oct 2007 10:50:54 +0100, Bill Pragnell wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:

>>> "Very good. Very deep. Right now I need aphorisms like I need holes in
>>> my heads."
>>
>> "So you see young Zaphod, when thinking of ways to describe what you
>> are making of your life, I find the prhase 'pig's ear' tends to spring
>> to mind."
>
> "Um, ah, where was I?"
> "Pontificating."
> "Ah, yes."

"Well, let me tell you a little story..."

>> Been listening to it in the car - again - the last few weeks.
>
> I must have listened to them a hundred times. I especially like the
> secondary phase because it has so many plot elements that have never
> been reused anywhere else, so it always feels really fresh.

My younger brother and I used to quiz each other on various minutiae from
the primary and secondary phases.  I used to be able to quote it verbatim
without the use of scripts.  I still do recite most of it with the
series, including the credits, and the little quip after most of the
episodes.

But the sorts of questions Steve and I would ask each other would have
considered "what was the improbability factor that Ford and Arthur were
rescued by the Heart of Gold at?" to be a simple questions. (2^267709:1
against - possibly much higher)

More along the lines of:

How many times had Lintilla been cloned?

What was the ratio of Lintilla clones to lonely business executives that
was maintained to keep the laws of supply and demand in balance?

Which escape capsule did Ford and Arthur get into in the Hagunnenon ship?

In the end of the first episode, there's a chord played played after
Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz issues his ultimatum to Ford and Arthur.  What is
the piece of music that chord comes from, and who was the composer?

> "How did you nutters get in here?"
> "Well, what it is, you see, is, well, we flew in. Yes, definitely, we
> flew in."
> "Well, bloody fly out again."

Listened to that bit on the drive in this morning.  Fit the Twelfth
finished just as I pulled into my parking spot.

There is a benefit to a 45-minute+ drive in the morning. :-)

"VarNtvar...."
"Varntvar.  He's a priest.  Does marriages, and other things, but mostly
marriages."

Jim