POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Almost dead computer? : Re: Almost dead computer? Server Time
11 Oct 2024 11:11:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Almost dead computer?
From: scott
Date: 28 Sep 2007 09:13:09
Message: <46fcfde5$1@news.povray.org>
> I'm having problems with my computer again. (Writing from another one.)
>
> When I press the ON button, nothing happens at all. Does it have power?
> Yes - the little green LED on the motherboard is lit just fine. I just
> can't turn the thing on...!
>
> Any suggestions what to do, or even just finding out in which part of the
> computer the problem lies?
> (Remember that I am totally clueless when it comes to hardware...)

As Warp said, likely the PSU, or just the On switch has broken/disconnected.
You're going to have to get inside the PC to diagnose the problem further.

Step 1 : Unplug the big connector that goes onto the mainboard from the PSU.
It will have 20 or 30 small cables going into it all different colours.
Once unplugged, look for the green one (there should only be one, pin 14
IIRC) and then find a black one (probably more than one).  With power
disconnected, insert a paper-clip (or a bit of wire) into the socket where
the green and black cables are, thus joining them together.  Then turn on
the mains, the PSU should spin-up.  If it doesn't get a new PSU.

2) If the PSU is working ok then next check the On switch is working.  Look
where the on switch is connected to the mainboard (usually in the bottom
corner somewhere) and unplug it.  Try jumping the two connectors on the
mainboard with a paper-clip again.  If the computer works then you have a
problem with the On switch.  If it doesn't then you have a problem with the
motherboard.  You could then try forcing the PSU to start by jumping the
green and black wires as in step 1) while it is connected to the mainboard.

Of course you could just unplug and plug in everything to make sure first.