POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Can someone research a stupid bug report for me? : Re: Can someone research a stupid bug report for me? Server Time
11 Oct 2024 17:47:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Can someone research a stupid bug report for me?
From: Warp
Date: 22 Sep 2007 05:23:18
Message: <46f4df06@news.povray.org>
> So even though you get uniformly distrubuted numbers in 0 .. 1, POV-Ray
> is actually generating integers and converting them? Presumably that
> means no two random numbers can differ by less than 2^-32?

  That's correct.

  There are also other side-effects. For example, you can have two
random seeds, each one creating random numbers independently of each
other, and suddenly one of them may start giving the exact same values
the other one gave when it started.
  This is because every seed is just going through the exact same
sequence of numbers, simply starting at different places. Advance
one seed enough and it will eventually reach the starting point of
the other seed.

--
                                                          - Warp