POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : idea for an alternate type of focal blur : Re: idea for an alternate type of focal blur Server Time
31 Jul 2024 12:25:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: idea for an alternate type of focal blur
From: Fa3ien
Date: 21 Sep 2007 14:40:40
Message: <46f41028@news.povray.org>

> I've noticed quite a few people who use focal blur regularly say they just
> don't bother with AA - the focal blur does the job for them. Not quite what
> you're asking but it does bring potential render times down a little!

In fact, even if you turn AA on, it is unlikely that it will be used in
highly blurred areas, since (with enough samples) the variance between
two neighbouring pixels is often to low to reach the AA threshold.

So, POV-Ray doesn't really multiply render times.  However, a more
global approach of "oversampling" features would be smart, of course.

(BTW, I think that texture-level antialiasing could be rather easy
  to implement, if only I had any knowledge of C++, sigh... but I can
  explain how to do it, if anyone is interested)

Fabien.