POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Virtual insanity : Re: Virtual insanity Server Time
12 Oct 2024 00:19:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Virtual insanity
From: scott
Date: 21 Sep 2007 08:55:25
Message: <46f3bf3d$1@news.povray.org>
Yeh some stuff gets banned, usually because it already breaks an existing
rule, or it would mean the cars would go too fast.  The FIA routinely bring
in new rules to stop the cars going too fast - it's just dangerous.  There's
plenty of invention that doesn't get banned though, it just doesn't make the
papers because it's not very exciting.

> I wonder - how fast would the cars be able to go without all the
> restrictions?

Well I would imagine they could easily make a car so that no human driver
could survive the G force for two hours...

F1 cars already brake and corner at up to 4G, it would be pretty easy to up
that to 7 or 8G and similar for acceleration if there were no rules.

Things which would make the biggest difference to speed:
- Larger engine capacity
- Turbo chargers (with no limit on pressure)
- No regulation on fuel type
- No minimum weight
- Moveable aero devices (ie like a plane wing that changes shape depending
on whether it wants maximum lift or minimum drag)
- Wider tyres
- Stickier tyres
- Not as many safety features