POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Virtual insanity : Re: Virtual insanity Server Time
12 Oct 2024 00:16:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Virtual insanity
From: Orchid XP v3
Date: 21 Sep 2007 07:00:18
Message: <46f3a442$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:

> As far back as I can remember they have always changed part of the rules
> every season.

Yeah, but, they used to change the rules in such tiny ways that nobody
outside the teams would ever notice.

I'm talking about when they decided "hey, what the heck? Let's just
randomly have *two* qualifying sessions instead of one!"

> From around 1980 onwards F1 suddenly became very popular, the teams had
> huge amounts of cash and so started developing all these weird and
> wonderful ways to go faster.  The new rules were basically to keep all
> the whacky ideas at bay (eg no 6-wheeled cars, no fans to suck the car
> onto the tarmac, no rocket fuel, no 3 foot wide tyres).  Before this
> time teams didn't have the money to invest in this stuff, so the rules
> weren't needed.

It just amuses me. Everybody tells you that F1 is the apex of
technology. But it isn't really. Every time they invent some technology,
it instantly gets banned. So it's not really the apex at all...

I wonder - how fast would the cars be able to go without all the
restrictions?

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/