POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Can someone research a stupid bug report for me? : Re: Can someone research a stupid bug report for me? Server Time
11 Oct 2024 17:47:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Can someone research a stupid bug report for me?
From: Warp
Date: 20 Sep 2007 18:16:03
Message: <46f2f122@news.povray.org>
Rune <new### [at] runevisioncom> wrote:
> And as previously stated, this is a feature, not a bug. I've been told
> earlier when I asked myself.

  POV-Ray uses a very simple linear congruential generator. More precisely:

randValue = randValue * 1812433253 + 12345

(which is then scaled to the range 0.0 - 1.0)

  You have encountered one of the disadvantages of such a linear congruential
generator, as described here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linear_congruential_generator#Advantages_and_disadvantages_of_LCGs

--
                                                          - Warp