POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Can someone research a stupid bug report for me? : Re: Can someone research a stupid bug report for me? Server Time
11 Oct 2024 17:45:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Can someone research a stupid bug report for me?
From: Warp
Date: 19 Sep 2007 10:29:56
Message: <46f13263@news.povray.org>
Rune <new### [at] runevisioncom> wrote:
> I think that Warp just meant something along the lines that no sequence
> generated by a computer is *really* non-predictable.

  No, what I meant was that POV-Ray uses a RNG such that you can predict
its entire outcome from the very first value it returns, even if you don't
know the original seed. That way it's very predictable.

  There exist other RNGs where this is not so. For example you can't
deduce the outcome of the Mersenne Twister with only the first result it
returns (you need to read several hundreds of values before you can
predict accurately the rest). With the Blum Blum Shub RNG it's even
more difficult.

> I don't see how that's
> relevant for this discussion though.

  It isn't. I was just nitpicking about predictability.

--
                                                          - Warp