POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Can someone research a stupid bug report for me? : Re: Can someone research a stupid bug report for me? Server Time
11 Oct 2024 11:11:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Can someone research a stupid bug report for me?
From: Brian Elliott
Date: 19 Sep 2007 03:40:07
Message: <46f0d257$1@news.povray.org>
"Greg M. Johnson" <pte### [at] thecommononethatstartswithYcom> wrote in
message news:46f0778a@news.povray.org...
> Warp wrote:
>
>> John VanSickle <evi### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
>>> #declare rsA=seed(Frame);
>>> #declare rsB=seed(floor(12345*rand(rsA)));
>>
>>> And use rsB as the primary seed for things.
>>
>>   Knowing how the random number generator used by povray works (it's
>>   pretty
>> simple, actually), I'm quite convinced that method doesn't actually add
>> any more "randomness" than simply using rsA as the seed. It simply
>> produces different results, that's all.
>>

> If the phenomenon I observed is valid, then it could be helpful to have an
> less-predictable value by setting the seed based on something that varies
> wildly as a function of frame_number: I was using cos & sin.

I would probably guess that you don't necessarily need increased randomness
(or unpredicitability), just that the mode and value-step in the frame/seed
sequence does shift to a harder pattern for the eye/brain to see.  Which
John's trick might do without actually increasing "randomness".  In the
absence of knowledge of the algorithm, experiment.  :-)

Brian