POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Can someone research a stupid bug report for me? : Can someone research a stupid bug report for me? Server Time
11 Oct 2024 11:10:46 EDT (-0400)
  Can someone research a stupid bug report for me?
From: Greg M  Johnson
Date: 17 Sep 2007 22:00:27
Message: <46ef313b@news.povray.org>
I've played around with some "animations" where I am really testing out a
parameter space (fractals: camera position; hetero_mf's: parmeters).

I set up a #declare RRR=seed(frame_number);

Then I go using a whole bunch of rand(RRR)'s.  I can then set up a hundred
or thousand frame animation, go to sleep, and come back and use the
interesting images as the basis for further exploration.

Problem is, a couple times when I was printing out the random values, I
noticed that every nth one were decreasing monotonically.  I don't remember
if it were the 7th or 17th one (hence a stupid bug report).

Q: is this expected behavior or already known?
Q: is anyone interested in taking the time to research this for me?

I've worked around it with some crazy formulas like:
#declare
RRR=seed(1200*abs(sin(frame_number/11.11))+550*abs(cos(frame_number/13.333)));