POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Rendering sphere_sweep very slow : Re: Rendering sphere_sweep very slow Server Time
31 Jul 2024 06:20:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Rendering sphere_sweep very slow
From: Warp
Date: 14 Sep 2007 07:40:43
Message: <46ea733b@news.povray.org>
Penelope20k <pen### [at] caramailfr> wrote:
> you can add an hollow statement as well ..

  Once again, "hollow" is a catch-all keyword to solve all problems,
the panacea of all keywords: It cures all problems. Or at least you
could try to use it to see if it cures the problem.

  Please don't take this the wrong way, I'm just honestly curious:
What is it with the "hollow" keyword that causes this phenomenon in
your case? You are not the first and certainly not the last to have
this misconception about that keyword. I have seen it suggested in
the weirdest of situations (which have absolutely nothing to do with
what "hollow" does).

  One of the weirdest situations where "hollow" was suggested as a
cure-all remedy for all problems which I remember was when someone
was asking why he was getting rendering artifacts with an isosurface.

  I have the strong opinion that the "hollow" keyword should be deprecated,
if for nothing else, to remove its status as a "panacea" keyword which
is suggested to solve all problems. It's very undescriptive as well
(because its only effect is that it allows media and fog inside the
object, something which could be represented with a much more descriptive
keyword).

--
                                                          - Warp