POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Rendering sphere_sweep very slow : Re: Rendering sphere_sweep very slow Server Time
31 Jul 2024 06:20:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Rendering sphere_sweep very slow
From: Alain
Date: 13 Sep 2007 17:59:39
Message: <46e9b2cb$1@news.povray.org>
gbe54 nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2007/09/13 15:43:
> I wonder how make rendering sphere_sweep faster.
> I tried to add a bounded_by clause without any improvement.
>
> Any Idea ?
>
> Regards,
>
> Gilles
>
> ---
> http://lordikc.free.fr

The problem, is usualy a sparcely filled bounding box. This especialy true when
you have large sweeping curves forming a narrow tube. Each ray that enter that
bounding box have to be tested against the sweep itself, demanding that the
whole sweep be evaluated for an intersection with that ray.
A possible solution is to subdivide the sphere_sweep into several smaler
sphere_sweep. This way, you have many smaler almost full bounding box, instead
of one BIG almost empty box.

--
Alain
Believe those who are seeking the truth; doubt those who find it.