POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A very interesting article about light pollution : Re: A very interesting article about light pollution Server Time
11 Oct 2024 17:47:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A very interesting article about light pollution
From: scott
Date: 12 Sep 2007 10:48:52
Message: <46e7fc54$1@news.povray.org>
> Hmm, in broad daylight I don't notice cars any quicker if they have their
> lights on but I guess I can't speak for everyone.

It still amazes me how some people *don't* notice a car approaching from
behind.  I don't know about everyone else, but when I see something moving
out of the corner of my eye it gets my attention.  Then it's blatantly
obvious when they suddenly see you :-)

> As for the waste, well, I am speaking as an owner of a 1.1L tiddler whose
> idling engine pitch significantly alters when the lights go on! :-) Even
> so, 0.1% of 30 years of petrol multiplied by the number of car owners and
> all that...

...comes to 0.1% :-)  I'm sure that far more is "wasted" by other methods,
like air-con, going too fast, having your windows open, braking, etc.