POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A very interesting article about light pollution : Re: A very interesting article about light pollution Server Time
11 Oct 2024 17:47:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A very interesting article about light pollution
From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 12 Sep 2007 09:14:47
Message: <46e7e647@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
>> I see a staggering number of road users with full-beam lights on hours
>> before the daylight begins to go. I know some cars have automatic
>> side-lights etc, (e.g. Volvos) but I really can't believe that all
>> these blazing beacons are helpless automatics. Sometimes I feel I'm
>> the only driver on the road without my headlights on, at 5 or 6pm in
>> the summer. Ludicrous. And wasteful.
>
> I always have my headlights on no matter what the weather or time of day
> if I'm driving on the autobahn.  The reason is simply so that people
> will notice me sooner/at all when I am approaching from behind (and
> hopefully not pull out infront of me).  Wasteful doesn't really come
> into it, the lights are using 80 W and my engine is developing 80 kW.

Hmm, in broad daylight I don't notice cars any quicker if they have
their lights on but I guess I can't speak for everyone.

As for the waste, well, I am speaking as an owner of a 1.1L tiddler
whose idling engine pitch significantly alters when the lights go on!
:-) Even so, 0.1% of 30 years of petrol multiplied by the number of car
owners and all that...