POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : domain names for large companies : Re: domain names for large companies Server Time
11 Oct 2024 11:11:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: domain names for large companies
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 12 Sep 2007 08:01:06
Message: <46e7d502$1@news.povray.org>

news: op.tyjfwfzyc3xi7v@news.povray.org...
> You're heading into trademark land. Remember Apple, the two  were
> operating in different spheres hence no problem. With Gilles examples the
> French courts should have told Kraft to bugger off, Milka Budmir wasn't
> selling chocolate, wasn't profiting from the association and had a
> legimate reason to use the name; Kraft's fault for not registering it
> first.

The problem is that individuals usually can't afford this kind of fight,
unlike corporations.

I just had a look at the Milka case, btw. While I still feel that she was in
her right, I see that she asked 25000 euros because Kraft "tattooed a cow in
mauve, thus slandering her name" and another 25000 because of the
"commercial usage of a degrading image that she was identified with"
(presumably the mauve cow named Milka). This was pretty stupid and I can
understand that a judge would find her arguments frivolous.

Another problem is that Kraft accused her to have used the mauve colour for
her website background, something they claimed was a proof of malicious
intent. Mrs Budmir said that colour was fuschia, not mauve. The court still
maintained that the colour was a problem, even though they said that a
"chromatic analysis" was no longer possible. Of course, said colour is 1
second away at archive.org, and the "chromatic analysis" consists in reading
the HTML code (#0080FF fuschia while Kraft is #706DB2 mauve), something
nobody did apparently. So Kraft benefited from Budmir's, her lawyer's and
the court's poor technological knowledge.

G.