POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : domain names for large companies : Re: domain names for large companies Server Time
11 Oct 2024 11:11:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: domain names for large companies
From: St
Date: 12 Sep 2007 05:29:20
Message: <46e7b170$1@news.povray.org>
"scott" <sco### [at] laptopcom> wrote in message
>>    As long as you don't use it in any way, then sit back and wait for the
>> offers. You have every right to register that domain if you want.
>
> That's what I thought.
>
>>> Would it make any difference if I ran a small company called 'Nokia
>>> Gizmos' or something that nobody had every heard of?
>>
>>        You couldn't start a company with the word 'Nokia' in it, and if
>> you chose any variation of the word because of this, it still might be
>> trouble for 'sounding' too close to their (trade)name.
>
> OK but assume the 2nd company already exists and just happens to have the
> word Nokia in it's name (totally legally).  It has registered and is using
> www.nokia.com to promote its own business, it registered this before Nokia
> realised that it needed a .com website.
>
> I just wondered if there is anything the "real" Nokia can do, apart from
> having to pay the small Nokia Blah Blah (that nobody has heard of) enough
> money to change their minds...

    Well, before Gilles posted the Nissan link, I was going to suggest that
yes, you could probably still use the domain, BUT, you would have to be
*very careful* in what you publish to the website. It seems that I'm correct
with this, (e.g. the restrictions that the courts laid down to Mr. Nissan in
continuing to use those domains), but after reading what he says, I would
think of some other domain name, and just sit on the original and see what
happens. As long as the registrant keeps the domain registered, there is,
(in my understanding), no way they can 'force' you to hand it over as long
as it's not used it in any non-commercial/commercial way.

     ~Steve~