POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : My laptop is a binge drinker : Re: My laptop is a binge drinker Server Time
11 Oct 2024 17:46:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: My laptop is a binge drinker
From: scott
Date: 11 Sep 2007 11:07:37
Message: <46e6af39$1@news.povray.org>
>> I had a look through a few documents here and my suspicion is that the
>> ethanol might have done some permanent damage to the polarisers.
> Yeek, now I hope it was the beer after all. Do you make LCDs for Apple or
> can I also hope that their materials are sufficiently different that I
> might be in the clear? :-\

I know we supply the LCDs for the full-size iPods and the iPhone, not sure
about any other Apple products though, it's not out of the realms of
possibility that we do.  The other groups tend to keep themselves very much
to themselves, I only really know about LCDs in phones and cars in Europe.
But even within my small area of knowledge we use several different
polariser suppliers and each of them has several different versions of
polarisers, each with different good and bad points.  It's always a matter
of compromises when you select which one to use.

It's worth noting though that the front polariser usually has some
anti-glare and anti-reflection coatings (unless you have one of those "CRT"
effect LCDs...) and possibly even some layer to protect it from impact with
the keyboard, so the front is usually much better protected than the back...