POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : My laptop is a binge drinker : Re: My laptop is a binge drinker Server Time
11 Oct 2024 17:44:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: My laptop is a binge drinker
From: scott
Date: 11 Sep 2007 09:55:47
Message: <46e69e63$1@news.povray.org>
> That raises another question: how can one be sure that no water is left,
> before turning the screen on? And if liquid can be seen still, how can you
> tell it's ethanol?

Good point, I assume that Bill has it covered though:

"Well, I'm hoping that my overkill sloshing of ethanol is the main
culprit here,"

I had a look through a few documents here and my suspicion is that the
ethanol might have done some permanent damage to the polarisers.  Here we
have to test the polarisers for lots of different things (petrol, diesel,
sweat, face-cream, cleaning fluids, coffee etc), and one of the tests for
cleaner fluid (some mixture with ethanol in it) often fails and leaves
permanent marks on the polariser...

FWIW we use IPA (isopropyl alcohol) for cleaning the polarisers... might be
worth a shot if you can get to the inside.