POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : How to make object be transparent with alpha channel in the final image? : Re: How to make object be transparent with alpha channel in the final image? Server Time
31 Jul 2024 12:20:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How to make object be transparent with alpha channel in the final image?
From: Rune
Date: 11 Sep 2007 08:50:58
Message: <46e68f32$1@news.povray.org>
Hor wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have two solid objects overlapped with one another - both have
> visible and invisible parts. I need to make the area which filled
> with visible part of one object make transparent in the final image
> (using alpha channel, with transparent background as well). Another
> object parts must not be visible anywhere in this area.

Instead of using the build in alpha channel feature in POV-Ray, you can
create your own black and white image separately, and afterwards apply this
one as alpha-channel for your image in post-processing.

Using this method, it's easy to make your one ring white and the other black
as well as using a black background. This should correctly make the solid
ring transparent in the part of the image where the other ring overlaps
visually. This also has the advantage that is doesn't affect reflections and
other effects.

Rune
--
http://runevision.com