POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : My laptop is a binge drinker : Re: My laptop is a binge drinker Server Time
11 Oct 2024 17:43:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: My laptop is a binge drinker
From: Vincent Le Chevalier
Date: 11 Sep 2007 07:38:36
Message: <46e67e3c$1@news.povray.org>

>>> What probably happened is the beer got between the rear polariser and
>>> the backlight, there is usually a 100-500 micron air-gap that could
>>> easily fill with liquid.  Any contamination in this area will show up
>>> very obviously on the screen.
>> Well, I'm hoping that my overkill sloshing of ethanol is the main
>> culprit here, and that most of it will evaporate eventually.
>
> It may be a residue of ethanol on the rear polariser, you could try and
> put a few drops on the front of the screen and see if you can see
> anything once it has dried off.  Polarisers are funny things and react
> weirdly sometimes to certain chemicals.
>
> Turn on the screen anyway, it will generate a load of heat which will
> help dry out any left-over moisture.

My laptop's screen died after I was caught under heavy rain, carrying it
in a not-so-waterproof bag...

I never knew exactly what happened, but apparently some water got caught
in the screen, causing the sort of effect Bill is seeing, I think. At
first it was working OK but large drops of liquid could be seen, I
believe they were behind the pixels and just in front of the backlight.
I thought turning it on would help it dry, and apparently it was an
error... One day after that the screen would not show anything. Perhaps
some metallic connector got corroded by the water, I don't know.

The screen can still be turned on (it was a year ago), but now shows
only squarish clusters of weakly colored pixels. Something hard to
describe... Anyhow my laptop has became a desktop :-( And traces of the
water can still be seen.

The interesting thing is that it had one broken pixel that permanently
appeared red. This is now the only pixel with a definite color ;-)

I don't know exactly how you can solve the problem, but in my experience
turning it on to make it dry did not help...

--
Vincent