POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : My laptop is a binge drinker : Re: My laptop is a binge drinker Server Time
11 Oct 2024 17:47:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: My laptop is a binge drinker
From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 11 Sep 2007 06:47:38
Message: <46e6724a$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
>> However, the screen has been badly affected - it has big glare
>> artifacts across more than a quarter of its area, although all the
>> pixels seem to be firing OK so maybe the moisture is in a different
>> layer or something.
>
> Yes, it's pretty unlikely that any moisture got inside the actual LC, or
> even under the polarisers, they are all laminated together with
> moisture-proof seals around the outside.
That's a relief.

> What probably happened is the beer got between the rear polariser and
> the backlight, there is usually a 100-500 micron air-gap that could
> easily fill with liquid.  Any contamination in this area will show up
> very obviously on the screen.
Well, I'm hoping that my overkill sloshing of ethanol is the main
culprit here, and that most of it will evaporate eventually. I've taken
the trim off the screen which will help, I guess - there are some small
vents around the edge of the actual screen panel. I'm reluctant to take
it apart further without good reason because I have zero experience with
LCDs!

> Cleaning it out will be hard, if you're lucky you could remove the
> actual display panel from the backlight without too much effort
> (sometimes they are stuck down with almost super-glue like adhesives!).
It doesn't look human-dismantle-able, I couldn't see any more screws
than those that hold it to the plastic case.

> But then the backlight will consist of several very thin optical films,
> which the liquid could have got between too.  In theory you could take
> the backlight apart and clean each film thoroughly, but I don't rate
> your chances of being able to get back to a perfect looking screen (this
> sort of assembly is normally done in clean rooms).
Are they very delicate? I don't have access to a clean room but we have
any amount of rubber gloves, sterile dooberys and anti-static wossnames
in our lab at work.

The real problem is if the films are held together by decent adhesive I
might break something just taking it apart. This will be a worst-case
last-ditch option I think!

Thanks for the info