POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : My laptop is a binge drinker : Re: My laptop is a binge drinker Server Time
11 Oct 2024 17:44:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: My laptop is a binge drinker
From: scott
Date: 11 Sep 2007 06:16:04
Message: <46e66ae4$1@news.povray.org>
> However, the screen has been badly affected - it has big glare artifacts
> across more than a quarter of its area, although all the pixels seem to be
> firing OK so maybe the moisture is in a different layer or something.

Yes, it's pretty unlikely that any moisture got inside the actual LC, or
even under the polarisers, they are all laminated together with
moisture-proof seals around the outside.

What probably happened is the beer got between the rear polariser and the
backlight, there is usually a 100-500 micron air-gap that could easily fill
with liquid.  Any contamination in this area will show up very obviously on
the screen.

Cleaning it out will be hard, if you're lucky you could remove the actual
display panel from the backlight without too much effort (sometimes they are
stuck down with almost super-glue like adhesives!).  But then the backlight
will consist of several very thin optical films, which the liquid could have
got between too.  In theory you could take the backlight apart and clean
each film thoroughly, but I don't rate your chances of being able to get
back to a perfect looking screen (this sort of assembly is normally done in
clean rooms).