POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Multicore insanity : Re: Multicore insanity Server Time
11 Oct 2024 17:44:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Multicore insanity
From: scott
Date: 11 Sep 2007 03:07:17
Message: <46e63ea5@news.povray.org>
>> And what, you'd prefer that everyone had to pay a kind of mid-range-price
>> for the top version, when 90% of home users won't care about all the
>> features in the top version?  Or that MS develop 2 or 3 totally separate
>> product lines, probably making all prices higher due to far more
>> development required?
>
> How about they just allow unlimited CPUs on all versions? That would cost
> them nothing in development terms...

But it would more than likely lose them profit.

Believe me, they will have all sorts of models, data and empirical formulae
to determine the best pricing structure and sales strategy.  I am 99% sure
if they implemented your suggestion they would make less money overall.

Why?  Because there is a significant group of people who are willing to pay
extra for (almost) unlimited CPU support (among other features).  If MS does
not take advantage of this (as you suggest), then they have immediately lost
that income.  Will they make it back in extra sales of the single version?
Unlikely, the people who previously could not afford the cheap version will
not suddenly want to buy it just because it supports unlimited CPUs now,
they are at the wrong end of the market.  So they have to up the price of
the single version.  This certainly will reduce sales though, but will the
reduced sales be offset by the increased price?  This is what the economics
of selling a product is all about, and MS probably have quite a lot of good
people working on it.

Why do adults have to pay more than children at the cinema?  It's the same
answer.