POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Power : Re: Power Server Time
11 Oct 2024 19:14:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Power
From: scott
Date: 11 Sep 2007 02:44:16
Message: <46e63940$1@news.povray.org>
> It was white, and extremely heavy. The display wasn't black and white; it
> was blue, purple and pale blue.

Ah yes :-)

> Until then, I'd only ever programmed in machine code and BASIC. (Back when
> BASIC was BASIC... You know, with GOTO and line numbers and stuff!)

Hehe, although the BASIC I had (on a BBC B) also had functions and
procedures, so you really could keep clear of the dreaded goto.

> Also, the display "rippled" when you touched it...

They still do today (although probably not as bad), try it.  Two years ago I
built a test rig to measure the severeness of this exact phenomena - as you
can imagine it's not exactly desired behaviour when you have a
touch-screen...

> And it had a chess game where if you did this certain move, the game
> somehow managed to make a *screaming* sound from the beep-speaker...! o_O

Ah yes - controlling the internal speaker directly, you can still do that on
most PCs and laptops today, although Windows probably blocks any software in
user mode from accessing it.