POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Multicore insanity : Re: Multicore insanity Server Time
11 Oct 2024 17:48:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Multicore insanity
From: Tim Attwood
Date: 10 Sep 2007 16:56:58
Message: <46e5af9a$1@news.povray.org>
> Huh?  If the cylinders are smaller then the engine is usually smaller too.
> The amount of metal in the engine only needs to be strong enough to stop
> it falling apart.  Bigger cylinders usually means higher internal forces,
> so you then need *thicker* metal around the cylinders, not thinner!  When
> you look at the specs of cars, the ones with bigger engine sizes are
> heavier...

The blocks used to be standard, designed with a bit of a margin
even for the largest stock piston designed for the block. You could
bore out the pistons larger with a small risk of the block cracking later
and put in even bigger non-stock pistons. I'm not sure what the
current cost of iron is but at one time it was about $25 a ton.