POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Numerical Precision : Re: Numerical Precision Server Time
4 Oct 2024 23:14:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Numerical Precision
From: Alain
Date: 10 Sep 2007 16:25:33
Message: <46e5a83d$1@news.povray.org>
Warp nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2007/09/10 10:19:
> Alain <ele### [at] netscapenet> wrote:
>> To realy be able to use more presision in your floating point operations, you
>> need a different HARDWARE: an FPU with more bits than the current implementation.
>
>   Not really. There exist libraries for arbitrary-precision floating points.
> They are, of course, not as fast as native floating point numbers, but it's
> certainly possible.

Possible but not realy practical in any case when you need to do 1000's+ of FP
operations, some of those been possibly quite complexe. And this was my point:
maintain acceptable rendering speed while geting higher FP precision.
Arbitrary precision can be 100 to 1000 times slower, and possibly even worse.

--
Alain
   I knew a girl so ugly that she was known as a two-bagger. That's When you put