POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Power : Re: Power Server Time
11 Oct 2024 19:18:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Power
From: Orchid XP v3
Date: 10 Sep 2007 13:20:17
Message: <46e57cd1$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:

>> Hahahaha!
>>
>> Oh dear...
>
> :-)
>
> You were probably using LCD too (calculator...watch?), but not in a form
> anywhere near suitable for PC displays.  I remember when I was about 10
> my dad brought home a laptop from work.  It had a black and white screen
> and the refresh rate was like 2 seconds.  IIRC it ran DOS and we had
> some Lotus equivalent of "power point" running - it was hideous to use,
> if you moved the mouse too fast it disappeared into a sea of grey
> blurriness!

Well, I remember using a "cutting edge" laptop that we weren't supposed
to have from BT.

It was white, and extremely heavy. The display wasn't black and white;
it was blue, purple and pale blue. It was impossible to complete level 9
on Tetris because the blocks were *actually invisible*. As in, there was
no visible evidence of their falling at all. Level 8 was only
completable by fluke, which happened exactly once.

OTOH, it was the first time I got to play with Borland Turbo Pascal 5.5
for DOS (which we also weren't supposed to have, and is one of the few
illegal software products I still possess). Until then, I'd only ever
programmed in machine code and BASIC. (Back when BASIC was BASIC... You
know, with GOTO and line numbers and stuff!)

Also, the display "rippled" when you touched it...

And it had a chess game where if you did this certain move, the game
somehow managed to make a *screaming* sound from the beep-speaker...! o_O

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/