POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Multicore insanity : Re: Multicore insanity Server Time
11 Oct 2024 17:46:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Multicore insanity
From: Orchid XP v3
Date: 9 Sep 2007 05:55:50
Message: <46e3c326$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:

>   The sad thing is that people are just content with these braindead greedy
> limitations MS puts in their OS.
>   Basically what they do is: Disable support for multiple processors and
> sell it at the regular price. Sell the version without the disabled features
> at a higher price.
>   Of course this is marketing. However, it's sad that people are just content
> with this.

Realistically, what ya gonna do about it? If the product you need
requires Windoze, you must pay whatever unreasonably price M$ demands of
you. And there is a *lot* of important software which won't work without
it. M$ made sure of that...

>   Compare it to Apple: *One* OS, with full features. No marketing tricks.
> When you buy it, you get everything, not a crippled version.

*cough* One?

Mac OS X + Mac OS X Server?

I'll agree with you on the "crippled" point though; surely no sane
person could argue that it's more expensive to write an OS that handles
multiple seperate CPU dies when it already handles multiple cores.
(Handling multiple cores is pretty tricky, but once that's done...)
Similarly with memory capacity. And "maximum number of SMB connections".
(Oh, that's really cute!)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/