POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Optical Mini-Mouse : Re: Optical Mini-Mouse Server Time
11 Oct 2024 11:09:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Optical Mini-Mouse
From: scott
Date: 7 Sep 2007 03:15:53
Message: <46e0faa9$1@news.povray.org>
> What's wrong with wanting to sell a better gizmo?
> If I went to the hassle of writing a complex piece of
> software to do image enhancements enough to read a barcode
> on a cruddy 18x18 64 level grayscale mouse image, I'd think the
> right to sell it would be with the programmer who did all the work,
> not with some company that says it was their idea.

But that company probably has lots of programmers working for them who have
likely already developed the core algorithm and software.  I don't think
they could file the patent unless they had some description of the algorithm
they were going to use.  Otherwise, like you say, it would be like Logitech
saying they were going to patent using a webcam to do face recognition.